lagonegro 8 - CopiaMARATEA 112042040_675365312600929_651657361_n

The town of Lagonegro is situated 666m above sea level in the territory of Diano Valley. It lies in the South western province of Potenza bordering also in the south eastern province of Salerno and is well connected to other neighbouring towns that face the municipalities in the northern Calabria Tyrrhenian sea bound. Such towns include Praia a Mare (CS) and Tortora (CS) even if not directly with the neighbouring town of Lagonegro, as well as the pearl of the Tyrrhenian Lucanian Maratea. The town is also dominated by the Sirino mountain (2005m). The geographical position of Lagonegro is halfway between the sea and mountain and is in a particularly favourable position of allowing mild temperature for local residents. But another importance of this mountain is the topography and minerals that were researched by the local scientist Giuseppe De Lorenzo. The area is rich in sources and many small lakes. There is also a rich fauna and a diverse flora, in particular chestnut and beech trees. As for the climate, it is characterised by high winter precipitation and a strong summer drought. The origins of the town have been controversial, but the popular theory has been derived of Roman settlements, the village called Vicus Mendicoleius. Just outside the village was a small church (called the Rosary) which was built on a pagan temple dedicated to Juno. This occurred in the eighth century with the settlement of the Basilian monks of Byzantine or Bulgarian origins of the castle on the cliff. Perhaps the church of St. Nicolas, which towers over the town dating from the ninth century, is the work leading to the establishment of these preachers. At about that time the village is mentioned with its current name to be derived from the dark waters of a lake located near the Apennines and then disappeared. The village is surrounded in the IX-X century walls and towers of which still remains in visible traces and are known to be enchanting. Of these works is the very impressive gateway to the town called ‘Iron Gate,’ part of which was rebuilt in 1552. Above the door is an emblem of the post feudal St. Michael the Archangel slaying a dragon.

Starting from 968, its territories were one of thema turme of Lucania. In the medieval period, the so called ‘earth’ of Lagonegro, belongs to the county of Lauria. It was then subsequently passed in 1463 to Wenceslas Sanseverino, twelfth earl of Lauria. Having no sons, his daughter marries Luis Barnabas Sanseverino, Prince of Salerno’s brother Robert. Giving her a dowry consisted a sub feud of Lauria , Ursomarso, Layne, Castelluccio, Trecchina and gave his reasons above Torturella, Cuccaro, Lagoniro, Rocca, Palicastro, Riverside, Scalea and Bervicaro. On August 11th 1498, King Frederick gave Lagonegro to Gaspare Saraguiso a referral to the rebellion of William Sanseverino, whose daughter Joan, then sold it to Vincent Caraffa. In 1548, the Caraffa then sold it to James Cossa with the pact. In 1550, Vincent Caraffa then yielded the town back for 5000 ducats to Luigi Caraffa, who then bought it for 20,000 ducats. The citizens however, bought it again in 1559, becoming a state town . More recently, in 1853, King of Naples, Ferdinand the Second stayed in Lagonegro.

Reviews:

http://www.gaystarnews.com/article/charm-and-enchantment-in-the-basilicata-region-of-southern-italy/#gs.TSJlJ50

http://www.wsj.com/articles/restoring-matera-italys-city-of-stone-1446650158

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/europe/italy/11179498/Alex-Polizzis-homage-to-secret-Italy.html

http://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/entertainment/articles/2015-10/07/maratea-italy-city-guide

bottle icon  Latest Products

ombraso1 nerulum1 mastricchio1 duca di nerula rose 54 fabula